Minimally Invasive Surgery
Improving outcomes and recovery
Take advantage of minimally invasive surgery, or laparoscopy, at San Ramon Regional Medical Center. We offer:
- Robotic and computer technology
- 3 operating suites dedicated to advanced laparoscopic and endoscopic procedures
- Nationally and internationally recognized pioneers in laparoscopic surgery
Laparoscopy surgery is performed through tiny incisions using small instruments and a miniature camera. In comparison to more traditional open procedures, laparoscopy can mean less post-operative pain and scarring, as well as shorter recovery times.
San Ramon Regional Medical Center has three operating suites dedicated to advanced laparoscopic and endoscopic procedures, featuring robotic and voice-activated equipment. Our innovative history includes:
- First hospital in the U.S. to perform laparoscopic aortic bypass surgery (June 1995)
- First hospital in the world to have voice-activated robotics used in surgery (July 1996)
- Introduced the Bay Area Heart Institute ,transferring its minimally invasive expertise into a new area, cardiovascular surgery (January 2000)
Why robotic surgery?
Robotic surgery systems offer surgeons additional precision and control in complex minimally invasive procedures. Surgeons can make smaller incisions, reduce pain and trauma and reduce blood loss. The risk of infection is also lessened, and patients recover more quickly with less scarring.
San Ramon Regional Medical Center has been a leader in robotic assisted surgery since 1994, when it purchased its first robotic system. In 2000, it was the first hospital on the West Coast and the sixth in the U.S. to purchase the da Vinci™ Surgical System — a system incorporating advancements in robotic and computer technology.
The da Vinci™ system allows surgeons to view the surgical site in three dimensions with 10 times magnification. Three surgical arms provide articulated movement that replicates the movement of the surgeon. The da Vinci system has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use for a variety of surgical procedures within multiple specialties, including urology, general surgery and thoracic surgery.
For more information about physicians at San Ramon Regional Medical Center who perform surgery with the da Vinci™ system, call (800) 284-2878 or use our Find a Physician tool to connect with a surgeon who can answer your questions.