Recipe: Southwestern Avocado-Bell Pepper Quiche Cups
Serving Size: 2 quiche cups
4 large eggs
½ cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning (or lowest sodium available)
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced into small pieces
½ cup shredded low-fat Cheddar Jack cheese
1 4-ounce can diced or chopped mild green chiles, drained
4 medium bell peppers (any color), halved, seeds and ribs discarded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, egg whites, and taco seasoning until smooth.
- Gently stir in the avocado, Cheddar Jack cheese, and green chiles.
- Place the bell pepper halves with the skin side down on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the egg mixture into the bell pepper halves, filling them to just below the edges (the egg mixture will expand while baking).
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the egg mixture is just set. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly, about 5 to 10 minutes, before serving.
Recipe and image courtesy of American Heart Association