How You Can Help
Simple ways to help
You can be an important piece in the recovery of your family member or friend. They may feel better due to your visits or lending an ear.
Some simple ways to help your friend or family member
Here are some simple ways you can help in your friend or family member's hospital stay and recovery:
- Compile a checklist for their hospital stay. Ask them what they will need and offer to pack it for them.
- Plan your route and arrive at the hospital early or on time.
- Pack some small personal items for them to decorate their room such as photos or children's drawings.
- Work with them to compile a list of approved visitors
- Get a discharge plan by asking
- Who will take them home after surgery
- Who will help them at home
- If they have children, what are their after-school schedules
- Who will prepare meals and do their chores
- Communicate clearly with their medical team
- Prepare their house for their return home doing things such as
- Filling any prescriptions for them
- Stocking the house with foods and beverages
- Keeping track of their medications and when to take them
Your support and help will get your friend or family member to recover more quickly and lift their spirit.