In general, robotic surgery systems are designed to offer surgeons additional precision and control in complex minimally invasive procedures. The da Vinci™ Surgical System
from Intuitive Surgical, Inc., incorporates advancements in robotic and computer technology.
Minimally invasive surgical procedures are performed through small rather than large incisions and minimize trauma to tissue, muscles and vessels. Patient benefits are less blood loss, less scarring and faster recovery times.
Robotic systems like the da Vinci™ Surgical System enhance minimally invasive techniques in complex procedures. The da Vinci™ system allows the surgeon to view the surgical site in three-dimensions with 10 times magnification. Three surgical arms provide articulated movement that replicates the movement of the surgeon.
Robotic assisted minimally invasive surgery may benefit patients as follows:
- Smaller incisions
- Reduced pain and trauma to the body
- Less blood loss and fewer transfusions
- Less risk of infection
- Shorter hospital stays
- Faster recovery and return to work
- Less scarring
Leader in Robotic Surgery
San Ramon Regional Medical Center has been a leader in robotic assisted surgery since 1994, when it purchased its first robotic system. In Spring 2000, it was the first hospital on the West Coast and the sixth in the United States to purchase the da Vinci™ Surgical System .
The following firsts were performed at San Ramon Regional Medical Center utilizing the da Vinci™ Surgical System:
- First microsurgical tubal reanastomosis (reconnection of fallopian tubes) in the United States, August 2000
- First complete laparoscopic prostatectomy for cancer in the Western States, March 2001
- First minimally invasive esphagectomy in the United States, 2001
- First oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) in the Western States, October 2002
- First vaginal hysterectomy in the Western States, December 2002
The da Vinci™ Surgical System has been approved for use for a variety of surgical procedures.
For questions or additional information, call 925.275.8206 or contact us at